The Event Feature Film: Engage, Inspire and Stimulate Your Audience
Was this a trailer for a major new feature film? The first 3 minutes of a Panorama-style documentary? Or the opening film at a global financial summit held in Brazil last year?
The answer is the latter, Liquid Investments asked us to produce a thought-provoking, scene-setting and engaging event feature film for their Primal Investment Summit. As event organisers increasingly look for innovative ways of delivering their events, we’re seeing video being used wow audience members and open proceedings.
It’s no surprise how effective video can be. Not only can it convey large amounts of information in a short space of time, it is also emotive and therefore can set the tone for an event, energise your audience and capture people’s imaginations. I won’t bore you with the statistics, just that a picture speaks a 1000 words, 1 minute of video is worth 1.8 million words…
Tips For Great Event Opening Films
So if you would like to include an event feature film at your next conference or summit, what key elements should you be considering? We take the movie trailer approach. Just as Hollywood filmmakers need to capture their audience’s imagination and make them want to put their hands in the pocket to see a movie, our event opening films are designed to get delegates on the edge of their seats ready to participate and engage with the event fully.
- Introduce your theme – what are the issues or topic covered by your event?
- Conflict – what are the problems associated with your theme?
- Your protagonist – the organisers, the sponsors and especially the delegates, are the heroes of your event.
- The antagonist – who or what is standing in the way of your success as a group, is there a baddy?
- Set the tone for the event – use cinematography (movement, lighting, composition, music) to give your delegates a sense of your event, what kind of mood do you want to create?
- Give your audience something to think about – use titles and graphics to share facts, stats or trigger words that will give your audience key information the will help shape your event.
- Build to the solution – the solution or climax of an event opening film is always going to be the event itself, get your delegates ready for action.
- Call To Action – how do you want your attendees to participate in your event? Sit back and relax? Challenge your thinking? Get involved?
- Strapline – we ended the Primal Investment opening film with the strapline “Let the investment revolution begin”, delegates were now primed to make the most of their time at the summit and be part of this revolution.
Adopting techniques used in other genres is a great way to deliver innovative and memorable events, as well as ensuring that your audience is ready to make the most of your programme or agenda.
If you have any questions about using film as part of your event content, please leave a comment below. Or if you would like to share your own experience, we would love to hear from you.